Everyone’s go to pasta, right? Easy, salty, creamy, you usually have the ingredients on hand. It’s my kind of dish. So why not put it in a waffle and serve it with spicy turkey meatballs? It’s a natural combo, like PB&J, like Oreos and milk, like sausage and caramelized onions.
Cacio e Pepe Waffles
These waffles had a strong crunch and sharp salty taste that worked well with spicy turkey meatballs and Arabiatta sauce. The meatballs come from one of my go-to Barefoot Contessa / Ina Garten recipes that I found on Serious Eats. I just use the meatballs and buy a good jar of Arabiatta sauce.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup buttermilk (you could use regular milk but I like the extra tang of buttermilk)
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
1. Mix all of the ingredients in a medium bowl. You should have a thick but pourable batter. Let it rest for 10-20 minutes while waffle iron heats.
2. Grease the waffle iron with spray, put one quarter of the batter on the center of the iron, close lid and cook. After the waffle has been cooking for 3-4 minutes, you should see the steam stop pouring out (or if you have a sensor like mine, once it beeps), you can check the waffle for doneness. I did not cook the first one enough so it was flabby and pale. The waffles in the picture cooked a little longer and were perfectly crispy.
Courses Side Dish